NB-36H tests were carried out in the framework of large-scale works on the jar, which began in the US in 1951 under the program ANP (Aircraft Nuclear Propulsion - Aviation Yasu), supervised jointly by the Air Force and the US Commission for Atomic Energy. In 1954, the US Air Force formulated the terms of reference on nuclear bomber WS- 125A, and the following year he began his competitive development of two industrial groups, each of which included Aircraft and engine-building company: Convair / General Electric and Lockheed / Pratt & Whitney. General Electric led the work on the nuclear installation of so-called direct cycle, in which a nuclear reactor replaces conventional turbojet engine combustion chamber, ie, heated air from the compressor is directly passed through the reactor. This scheme simplifies the design of the engine, but it creates an increased radiation risk to the environment and the maintenance staff, as exhaust gases and engine components become radioactive. The leading role in these works played Germans Bruno Brookman and Gerhard Neumann, formerly the major specialists in the German company BMW. Initially studied nuclear option J47 engine, but in the end the power plant X-211 was created (J87) of two powerful new Turbojet served one nuclear reactor. Total forced flow amounted to 243.5 kN (24830 kgf). Afterburner worked on a conventional chemical fuel.